Thursday 15 March 2012

Magazine Advert

On the left is my first draft and attempt at creating a magazine advert.

Image: I decided to have a photo of Andrea and I (The Capulets) on my magazine advert as I thought this is most appropriate for our style as we both perform in our music video and we are also on the cover of my digipak which is why i wanted to keep the continuous style. Also if we were to be a real band audiences would most probably recognise us by our image the most.

Font: Although i created a band logo for my group previously i didn't want to have it on my magazine advert as i thought it made it look a little over the top. Also i done some research into whether or not artists used a constant style for their name/band name and noticed at the end of my research that very few artists did so which is why i decided to change the style of our logo for my advert.

However, i chose to write our band name in a girly font as our original is very feminine and this is what i thought looked best. The rest of the font is just normal, i chose to use a more simpler font for the rest of the text on my advert in order to make it all clear and easy to read as the font i used for my logo was barely readable as it all got squashed up when i tried to make the font smaller.

Colour: Andrea and I decided to do the opposite and go for a more colour in our music video, digipaks and magazine advert. Our colour scheme is in our band logo which consists of mainly, black, purple, pink and white. I stuck to this colour scheme when creating all of my ancilliary texts. However, I decided to carry a little bit of the original artists theme by keeping black and white in all my products and adding my own twist to them to make them personal to The Capulets and not Aly&Aj.
Below is a larger sized version of my magazine advert:

 On the left is my second magazine advert that i also created using Photoshop in order to help develop my skills in using various different programs. I chose to create both my magazine adverts on Photoshop as it allows me to use a variety of tools such as the 'lasso' tool which allows me to cut around the parts of a photo i like and take them out to create a new photo with a different background, positioning etc. Also the various tools allow me to experiment and develop my skills more than programs such as 'paint' as this is a very basic editing program whereas Photoshop allows me to make my work look far more 
professional looking.

Image: The image i used on my magazine advert isn't really a photograph but a screen shot from my music video. The photo on my first magazine advert looks more staged and studio like so i wanted to go for a more fun, unplanned and natural image which will represent our group better. I chose to print screen and use this particular image because we are both smiling/laughing in the snow representing fun and our bubbly characters. I also like the way the snows in my hair and on my face as it shows that we may have been having a snow fight also a representation of having fun. I prefer this photo as i think it not only says a lot about us and our characters but it also looks more suitable and fits in with our idea of being quirky, fun, girly and also links in better with our music video.

Font: Just like my first magazine advert i have chosen to go for a girly font for my band name as it is for a girl duet and the original band logo i made is very girly also. I wanted to tone it down a bit but still keep a similar font to my original logo. For the rest of the information i chose an edgy but clear font so it's easy to read. I've also written nearly everything in capitals mainly the information to show that it is important and to make it stand out more.

Colour: I used a lot of pink on this magazine advert as the colour pink is a very girly colour and stereotypically symbolises girls. Using this colour sends the audience a clear girly representation and fits in well with our overal style and theme. The pink also matches the colour of our lipstick and also the pinks that are used on my digipak covers. I believe that this magazine advert links in better with my latest digipak design.


No comments:

Post a Comment