Sunday 4 September 2011

Summer Research



Record Label And Musical History


- Polydor Records was founded in Germany in 1946 as the popular music arm of the long-established Deutsche Grammophon label.

- UK division of Polydor was not established until ten years later.

- German Polydor released a single called My Bonnie by Tony Sheridan and The Beat Boys in August 1961 (backing group was the beatles).

- My Bonnie was the first official release by the group and was reissued two years later, when it briefly charted in Britain during the first flush of 'Beatlemania'.

- 1960s Polydor started signing a series of production deals with some of the most dynamic pop entrepreneurs. Giorgio Gomelsky, who had discovered the Rolling Stones and managed the Yardbirds, brought in Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger. Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp brought in the The Who, and via their Track Records imprint, Jimi Hendrix, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Thunderclap Newman. And Robert Stigwood brought two big-hitters to the label with the Bee Gees and Cream.

- At the same time, Polydor developed its American connections to become a significant soul and r'n'b powerhouse.

- Acts who came through Polydor: James Brown, UK license to the Stax and Atlantic labels gave them Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin and a host of other top names.

- 1970s, Progressive rock was represented by the likes of the late, great Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher, Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton, both solo and with Derek and the Dominos. Glam rock was represented by Slade and the Rubettes.

- Swedish group who won the Eurovision song contest in 1974 dominated the charts all over the world for years to come. They went by the name of Abba and their greatest hits Gold album still sells strongly to this day.
 
- Polydor led the way in disco, with the Bee Gees and the chart-topping Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

- 1977-78, Polydor held the number one slot in the American charts for 23 weeks, with six different singles. At the same time, Polydor was in the forefront of the punk revolution, signing the Jam, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sham 69, among others.

- 1980s, the dance-funk of Level 42, The Wonder Stuff and Paul Weller's Style Council added further diversity to the roster.

- 1990s the label became even more broad. Credible singer-songwriters such as Van Morrison and Eagle-Eye Cherry were signed alongside Britpop heroes Cast and Shed Seven. Former Stones Roses frontman Ian Brown launched a solo career on the label, while the Lighthouse Family and Boyzone flew the flag for the mainstream.

- Polydor's link with the Interscope, Geffen and A'n'M labels also brought on board an impressive roster of American talent, including Eminem, 50 Cent, Beck, Counting Crows and Marilyn Manson as well as the Nirvana catalogue.

- the label continues to boast plenty of big pop names from Ronan Keating to Daniel Bedingfield. From the realm of contemporary British urban music came the trailblazing Mercury Music Prize-winner Ms Dynamite, while Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol and Sweden's The Hives spearhead an impressive alternative rock contingent.

Website where information was found: www.polydor.co.uk/history
(I have taken out the relevant information and presented it in bullet form)

How La Roux Represents Herself In The Media


LA ROUX is deffinitely better known for her electro-pop tunes than being on the catwalk. She performed a live show at Viktor and Rolf's menswear catwalk show in Paris. The design duo have adopted the British singer, real name Elly Jackson, as their new muse, dressing her in a slick suit taken from the menswear spring/summer 2011 range.

Elly says "Fashion and music have always gone hand-in-hand and this was an opportunity to do something different with the songs and in a completely different setting".

I think Elly presents herself as a lively, stylish, weird, talented and a tomboy type of person. I done a lot of research on how La Roux represents herself in the media but to be honest i wasn't able to find a variety of different representations. A lot about fashion came up whilst researching about her so it's fare to say that she represents herself as being stylish and into fashion as she has a unique look that many seem to like very much.Whilst researching on the internet i came across a question & answer with La Roux which gives us more information about herself and some about representation which you will see below.

Q&A With La Roux

Growing up, my favourite popstars had the extraordinary edge
. Over-the-top style and the need to create a character. Annie Lennox did it and people like David Bowie too. Its why I think the New Romantics were so cool.

Im also inspired by Buddy Holly. I love all those tightly fitted pale suits, the big 50s quiffs. I always loved those things but it was finding the money and time to put them together that was the problem.

People say, Oh I like your style, but its hard to start dressing a certain way. I mean, if someone turned up to the office dressed like this, most people would think: F**k, shes weird.


If my look is changed its not La Roux. I had a shoot the other day with a US magazine and I think we p*ssed them off. They bought cool clothes and the stylist was lovely but I think they forget you arent a model. Im not a f**kng model. Im a singer. Like, people often want me to take my necklace off and Im not going to. If I comply, I dont look like me, then the whole image is ruined. But trying to be strong, and stick to what youre happy with, and not look like a c**t, is really hard.

Ive always been androgynous. I was a tomboy as a kid. I wanted to do all the things boys could do. I wanted to be accepted on the football team and I wanted to be able to pee standing up. Why should they get all the perks? That included clothes. Boys get more comfortable clothes. And better tailoring. They get some unbelievably well made suits and a sharp look that is hard to find as a woman. I much prefer strong lines and more angular cuts.

The way I dress affects my fan base. Ive got a strong gay and lesbian following. Ive got short hair and an air of mystery, which is always going to interest people. I guess its a grey area for them. But its weird for me. After one gig, this girl came up to me at the bar and said: Im not gay, but I really wanna f**k you. I was like, Well, you cant. Argh! It was sort of terrifying. Im not single either.


Evaluation Of La Roux - In For The Kill


I have chosen to analyse La Roux's - In For The Kill video which falls into the electropop genre. Her second single 'In For The Kill' was released on 16 March 2009.

In For The Kill features La Roux performing in a Toyota car throughout the whole video. The colours used in the video consist heavily of black. I can say that the video only consists of 3 obvious colours which is black, white and red/pink tones of lighting.

I'm not completely sure about what the message in this song is and what the lyrics actually mean. I had a read through the lyrics a couple of times and listened to the song a few times too. When i first heard this song i thought it had something to do with love/relationships. In order to get an accurate explanation i done some research to try and find out what the song is really about. I managed to find an explanation from Jackson herself on a lyrics website which says: "Jackson explained this '80s-derived song to Steve Harris of XFM radio: "It's about telling someone how you feel regardless of what you get back, and not waiting to find out if they want you or not." She added that when she wrote this, "I was quite in to someone in quite a deep and intense way and I went overseas (Paris) and told them I like them. It all fired back in my face but that's not the point you do it for yourself."

Here are the lyrics for In For The Kill:

We can fight our desires
But when we start making fires
We get ever so hot
Whether we like it or not
They say we can love who we trust
But what is love without lust?
Two hearts with accurate devotions
And what are feelings without emotions?

I'm going in for the kill
I'm doing it for a thrill
Oh I'm hoping you'll understand
And not let go of my hand
(x2)

I hang my hopes out on the line
Will they be ready for you in time
If you leave them out too long
They'll be withered by the sun
Full stops and exclamation marks
My words stumble before I start
How far can you send emotions?
Can this bridge cross the ocean?

I'm going in for the kill
I'm doing it for a thrill
Oh I'm hoping you'll understand
And not let go of my hand
(x2)

Let's go to war
To make peace
Let's be cold
To create heat
I hope in darkness
We can see
And you're not blinded by the light from me

I'm going in for the kill
I'm doing it for a thrill
Oh I'm hoping you'll understand
And not let go of my hand  









No comments:

Post a Comment